While many of you will already be aware, the sudden death of Dave Pufflet, the coordinator of Whakaupoko Landcare has come as a shock to us all.
We have lost a truly great friend our thoughts are with his awesome family.
Puff was coordinating the grand opening of our new walkway (Te Ara O Whangamaire), linking the bush near Patumahoe School to Henry’s Bush on Hunters Rd.
This Walkway opening is planned for November 23rd 2.30pm Friday afternoon and will still go ahead in what will now be both a happy and sad day.
More detail will follow and in the meantime we will be holding a working bee next weekend to finish the track off. Puff has been a key part of this project right from the start and we know if you are able to make it along he would appreciate it.
When: Sunday 11th, 10.00am (Along from North East Fields just off Clive Howe Rd)
What to bring: Yourself and any friends. Bring a sharp spade or shovel, some gloves and the odd hammer.
What we are doing:
- Killing surviving gorse and convolvulus around the steep part of the track and around the spring.
- Completing the loop track in the bush at the bottom right. (This will be done by youth for the youth of Patumahoe and just needs a little track shaping to finish it off)
- Nailing on plastic triangles to trees, fences, pegs – to mark the track.
- Assembling a gate entrance at the bottom and a stile across one fence.
- Putting in track signs.
- Tidying up the entrance way.
- Carrying some metal down the track to fill up 6 steps that lead through the bush.
We are thinking of finishing off the morning with a pot luck bar b que and brief details will follow.
There will also be more detail re the Walkway opening and if you are willing to assist on the day then please get hold of either Andrew or Peter. We would like to think that it will be a day to remember
See you on Sunday. Any questions contact:
Andrew Sinclair Ph 236-3647
or Pete Hardy Ph 236-3590